Monday 17 September 2012

The Perfect Day in Kensington


It would start with a walk down the Bow River Pathway, I personally live in Bowness so I might even be riding my bike east towards downtown.

Usually I haven’t had my caffeine fix because my Tassimo is notoriously out of dispense thingies so I need to decide... which deluxe coffee shop am I choosing to stop at today?

Higher Grounds – great internet and delicious food
The House – ethical and entertaining
3 The Roasterie – great beans and eclectic people watching spot

So many options, but today I feel like watching my beans get roasted so the Roasterie it is! Plus, I’m on the go with my day in Kensington so I hit up the “walk by” window for extra convenience.

Obviously, I was feeling a bit peckish at this point what with all my decision making and walking. I earned it! So I hit up the original Crave Cupcakes for the most unhealthy and delicious snack. I can’t resist the orig, Crave-o-licious but Nutty over Chocolate (Peanut butter flavoured) cupcake is a close second.

My hands must be crazy full while munching my cupcake and sipping away on coffee so what else is there to do but window shop! My wallet appreciates the looking and not buying aspect of this next activity. I use my illustrious imagination to decorate my “future” apartment where money is no object. Passing by the shops from Urban Barn to the always unique The Cushy Life and Kilian. There's always more classic and long standing stores such as the Hillhurst Hardware, or the Kensington Art Supply who also offer classes to aspiring artists, but I'm just strolling today.

Now that I'm done my treats I head into Purr a local favourite for girls that can afford it. Beautiful and uniquely designed clothes, but ladies only at this location, sorry guys! If you're looking for some more affordable and gently used duds, as I always am, then we'll head to Trend or Peacock Boutique two higher-end consignment stores on 10th street. You can either make some coin with your old clothes and/or grab a whole new outfit for half the price. Because its MY perfect day in Kensington I realize I have an outstanding cheque from Trend for $100 and use some of that to buy some barely worn boots. Wow what a great day I'm having!

I have a quick pop into Oliv a gourmet olive oil, balsamic vinegar and wine shop. Delicious! You could spend all day in there tasting. Onwards and upwards to seeing more of Kensington. I need to fix up my bike so I head to Good Life Community Bike Shop, a non-profit organization, where they not only tune up my bike, but teach me some key skills of my own! Onwards to Oolong Tea house, which is a great spot to sit and rest those walking legs and enjoy a variety of unique teas and mates.

This has been a busy day so far; walking the streets of Kensington, shopping, looking, mainly people watching. Its dinner time now and a girls gotta eat. The thing about this area is that there are just too many options.

Here are my Top "pricier" Restaurants in Kensington:
1 Brasserie
2 Chef's Table
3 Ristorante Pulcinella
4 Muse
5 Tandoori Hut


Top 5 "not as pricey" Restaurants:
1 Vendome Cafe
2 Song Han Vietnamese
3 Tenshi Sushi
4 Marathon Ethiopian
5 Schawarma King

Top 5 Pubs:
1 Kensington Pub
2 Kensington Wine Bar
3 Molly Malones
4 OJ's
5 FATS

I can't even tell you how I make a decison out of all of these, I can just tell you that I love the Brasserie, Wine Bar combo. Go for a dinner and end with drinks and desserts downstairs. You can't go wrong. I always enjoy a walk to ease my full stomach so onwards through sunnyside, the area behind 10th Street. There are great, older houses to check out some more swanky, some more modest, all in all a great gander. The best sight of all is along the top of Kensington, Crescent Road. This is where you can see the best view of the city day and especially sunset/night. Romantic, or just picturesque. There is a set of stairs that lead down the top of the hill and over to Prince's Island Park.

I suggest Kensington to every traveler I meet based on the fact that it's cute, there's enough to see and do, but more importantly it's where the locals are! 

For General Info Check out the Kensington Village website : http://www.visitkensington.com 

1 comment:

  1. Good post! Glad you told us about your blog.
    :)

    /One of the Swedes

    ReplyDelete